Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Back to the Great Wall...

We never anticipated returning to The Great Wall; we were there in March of 2006. But we are drawn to it again... This time we went to a different section of the Wall. We aproached it in a completely different way... we took a chair lift (the kind used at ski resorts) up to the top of the Great Wall. We walked around and as soon as we got off the chair lift I started filming and tripped on the stairs, fell and broke my camera. I'm ok, just a little scratched up toe is all, but now when I need to take a picture I have to squeeze my camera together with one hand and try and operate it with the remaining hand. Zooming is a little difficult. We are going to look for a new camera. We got a few shots, but boy what a time to have technical difficulties!
The best part was our return down the mountain, we rode little tobogans down a metal flume. It had a brake for slowing yourself down and it only went forward when you pushed the brake handle forward. I filmed it all the way down! Such excitement!!!It was GREAT fun!!! I REALLY wanted to do this but I didn't think we would get the chance. This trip was impromtu. The H's had a trip planned to another foster home for older children near the Great Wall and when we heard the were going to this place as well, we were all in!
I saw pictures on Steven Curtis Chapman's blog that he and his family went down this tobogan run and I wanted to do it ever since.
I spent my morning meeting with the director of the foster home we are staying in. I learned a lot about their ministry and discussed my involvement in the future and how to best help them. It was a very useful time for me. Our little one spent the morning helping with the toddlers in the preschool time. She loved it. The H girls spent time playing with the orphans helping the Nannies to care for the babies.
Have to go to dinner... more later...

2 comments:

Zwade Gang said...

Sounds like quite an adventurous day! Be careful!

Did you go to the Great Wall at Simatai? That's where we are planning to go.

Can't wait to get to other side of the world with you.

Rhonda.
Taking off in: 1 day, 22 hours, and 49 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rod and Trina,

So good to hear that you're having a top rate adventure.Thanks for keeping us all up on the news. Hope you get a new camera soon because you have to have Lori Jo and I over for a slide show! We'll stay tuned for further instalments.

Randy